Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Internet Detox: Update 1

You may have read that I attempted to take a break from the internet.

(Source)

The synopsis of that story: My computer breaks, gets sent for repair, and I decided hey, why not use this time to cut down on my online time? Then, I got my computer back, and that was when things started to get pretty hurdly! The first couple of weeks went well, I kept my computer off most of the time, and I went for runs, read, did some yoga, only browsed Facebook and reddit occasionally. 

It was going so well. 

And then, I have no idea how it happened... but what with researching uni courses, and then uni applications... and gaming... somehow, the computer just crept back into my life and ousted out my yoga and running. That has not happened since the end of uni, 3 years ago. I'd never stopped doing yoga before... it feels weird, even now, especially since I haven't gotten back into it. I have to admit, shamefully, that my computer dependence is now much greater than before. I've been introduced to DotA 2, I've discovered this terrible yet addictive online game called Wartune, and I recently discovered Duolingo which is a fantastic and free language learning site. It's also the only product I will link to because it is, at least, educational so getting addicted to it isn't so bad. :P

I suppose I realized I had hit a low when I purchased a jar of ready-made curry simmer sauce. I know, it's a really bizarre thing to trigger an epiphany, but I haven't eaten any processed foods in a very long while. I make all my own curries, soups, stews, etc when I'm not eating out. Why did I buy that jar of sauce? So I could have more computer time, why else! 

I can't believe this jar showed me just how far I had fallen.
(Source)

The disappearance of my yoga practice and fitness regime has changed a lot in my life. For starters, I have a lot of free time that I just don't know what to do with, which then gets spent on the computer (terrible neverending cycle that one...). I have lost weight... about 5kg. I am much weaker physically. My shoulders ache all the time, and I get constant headaches that simply won't go away. I wake up every morning vowing to do some yoga, but what I think will be ten minutes on Duolingo ends up being a few hours. 

I just have to ask myself... what happened? What went wrong? I've always been so disciplined in my fitness routines. How did I lose the plot when my intentions were all in the right place? 

I wanted my internet detox to be along the lines of Susan Maushart's The Winter of Our Disconnect. Instead, I seem to be on a road to Netaholics Anonymous

I'm not even sure what my next step is. Besides the obvious of trying to get my yoga and running back on again. I'm not even sure I know what I wanted to achieve with my internet detox... I think my original goal was just to cut down on dawdle time on the internet. 

So, there you have it. I wanted a hiatus but instead got a face full of internet. I've never really failed in anything before, this is a first. What a downer of a post, I guess it's possibly from the lack of yoga :P Hopefully, the next time I update, there will be better news. 

6 comments:

  1. The internet can be such a time-suck. I can easily lose hours on it, and all my well-intentioned plans to do productive things (like exercise) go out the window :(

    I'm thinking I need to take a very disciplined approach and schedule internet time for myself, making sure I turn my computer off when I'm done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I used to think I had good self-discipline, now I'm not so sure. :S

      Delete
  2. I saw a cheeky poster that said "If you've got time for Facebook you've got time for yoga"! Don't be too hard on yourself, it happens to everyone I'm sure. I think human nature has a tendency towards the 'path of least resistance' (better than saying lazy!!), and I too find whole evenings have gone by and I haven't done the things I was meant to do.

    One trick is to do the thing you need/want/should do first, like 20mins of yoga, and THEN do the facebook/games thing, partly as a reward. You can also alternate things/jobs with games/other stuff.

    Also, having done no/little exercise for 3 months with broken foot then recovery, I find the less I do, the less I do. So, when we get into patterns of doing little, or doing lots of Facebook or whatever, it seems easy for it to then multiply. Likewise, when we get into to doing lots of exercise we can have more energy and enthusiasm and end up doing even more!

    Have fun, and enjoy your down time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. " I find the less I do, the less I do"
      I agree with you there. It's definitely easy to get into a rut and terribly hard to get out of one.

      I think the 20 mins first thing in the morning sounds like a great idea. The truth is, it's not even a new idea but I think I just got so lost that I completely forgot how to get back into it, so thanks for the reminder!

      Delete
  3. Hi Hui.

    Maybe try "no absolutes". You don't have to stay completely off the Internet, and you don't have to completely do your fitness regime. Maybe some of each.

    Mind you, I once took a week off of my yoga practice and even doing that made me fear I would not get back on it. But, at least I understand stopping and wondering if I can get back on it.

    I think anything you do three times can give you a good start to getting back to something. So, for the yoga, maybe just set a goal of three practices. See how you feel afterwards. That might very well be enough to get you back in the swing of things. Maybe then, running will follow.

    Baby steps first.

    Good luck!

    Anne
    http://YogaSpeak.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your advice Anne. I once read that it takes 21 days to create a habit, but I would be thrilled to get in three days of yoga at the rate I'm going!

      I think just getting on the mat everyday, no matter how short, could be the start of rebuilding my routine. And yes, you're right, once I get back into yoga I'm sure the running will come.

      Delete