Thursday, April 25, 2013

Couch to 5K: Week 1 Progress Update

I recently started the Couch to 5K (C25K) running program. I am using RunDouble's app for Android, using the timed version of C25K. So far, so good!

If you've followed my blog from the beginning, you will probably already know that I can run 5km. So, why on earth am I doing the C25K? Well, a bit less than a year ago, I sustained a knee and foot injury on my left leg - my joint injuries are always so stubborn and they take forever to heal. I've only just fully recovered, and am hoping to recondition my legs to running again. 

I have major issues with self-restraint. Cut me loose and I'll probably just run until my legs break. Some people call it motivation, and to be fair that quality has gotten me places in life... I guess it's both a blessing and a curse :P 

The C25K is a program to help non-runners to get into running, so what better way to ease myself back into running than to have a program that does it all for me? 

I have never used an app like this before. I've previously used Nike + to track my runs, but I like the RunDouble app more. It does everything for you... the C25K tells you when to warm up, run, brisk walk, cool down, when you are half way, when to do the harlem shake... you get the gist. Ah, technology... where would I be without you! 

The only trouble I have been having with it is to create a playlist... the Nike + app just goes through my entire music library. With the RunDouble app I seem to only be able to access folders or playlists, which means I will need to go through the painstaking process of creating a playlist. But, I want to run, dammit not spend all day adding files to a list. 

Week 1 went without a hitch, and best of all, no joint pain. Also helpful could be the fact that I recently got myself some new kicks... the Asics Kayano 18... and I am in love with them. 

Here is a summary of how it went: 

Week 1's program is 8 repetitions of 1 min running / 1.5 min brisk walk with a 5 min warm up and cool down. 

Day 1: Couldn't get the GPS to work, but I only started to get into running with ease by the 3rd interval. 
Day 2: Total distance 2.72km, fastest pace 4:55min/km 
Day 3: Total distance 2.75km, fastest pace 4:47min/km 
Week 1 running pattern

No comments:

Post a Comment